Heard on TV

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 5 02:56:46 UTC 2011

There are some people who think--for whatever reason--that "Jew" is an
insult (kind of like "homosexual" has become a cold formality and thus an
insult--and thus preference for "gay"), but Jewish is ok. This does not
answer the question why they don't see that it's not a noun. But it does
explain why someone might use it as an alternative where another might say
"Jew". Ironically, this usage might be most common among social
antisemites--a hypercorrection, of sorts. So Wilson may be right--it's an
odd euphemism for "Jew", but one that actually serves an a red flag.

Another pointer is the fact that "Jewish" parallels "British", "American",
etc., in perfectly ordinary expressions--"He's Jewish", and the like. It's
only a small step to extrapolate from there. And if you already think that
saying "Jew" is somehow wrong, what better excuse do you need?

VS-)