jazz (not music)--1911?

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 6 08:31:38 UTC 2011

I am not going to pretend that this is a clear example. The book was indeed
published in 1911, but there is absolutely no way to ascertain when this
copy was printed. The citation can be found on the very last printed page of
the book, in the self-promotion by the publisher--the kind of advertising
sheet that could have been added at any printing. And this one has nothing
to with music either.

http://goo.gl/cNpef
Dick Merriwell's Commencement. Or, The Last Week at Yale. The Merriwell
Series No. 200. By Burt L. Standish. 1911
[inside back cover--Street & Smith advertising]

> Read the Street & Smith Novels!
> They are the cheapest and most interesting reading matter published in
> America to-day. No jazz--no sex--just big, clean, interesting books.

So take it as you will. YMMV.

VS-)