Grammar Girl's "needs done" survey

Wed Sep 7 16:11:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> In his speech yesterday, the President of the United States observed that
> much of America's infrastructure "needs rebuilt."
>
> A Presidential first?

Not sure about that. I think he said "We’ve got roads and bridges
across this country that need rebuildin'." The final syllable (with
folksy dropped g) is quite reduced, so I can see how JL could have
heard it as "rebuilt."

It's at 10:50 in the video:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/video/2011/09/05/president-obamas-labor-day-message-weve-got-fully-restore-middle-c

Official transcript says "need rebuilding":

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/09/05/remarks-president-detroit-labor-day-event

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer