"new" eggcorn--formenting

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 7 18:13:23 UTC 2011

Substitution of "formenting" for "fomenting is actually quite common. And I
had to re-parse the sentence when I read it a few minutes ago:

http://goo.gl/qPI3D

>  Fox News is a crucial outlet for formenting Shariah panic.

A quick look at Wordnik suggests that this is not limited to either Fox News
or Americans (non-rhoticity might help, actually):

http://www.wordnik.com/words/formenting

> “Regarding the Soviets, I notice that you have no answer to the fact that
> the USSR was actively formenting trouble and hoping that the Arabs would
> attack Israel.”

John Terry’s sacking as England captain tells us something interesting...

“In doing-so, he tries to score political points for his own party from a
> conflict which the NP was central in initiating and formenting.”

STATEMENT ON DE KLERK'S ADDRESS TO NP CAUCUS

“UDM on his sources of information regarding the existence of a third force
> responsible for formenting the latest incidents of violence in”

STATEMENT ON UDM CHALLENGE ON THE RICHMOND SITUATION

“That AM radio crap is about formenting discontent for money, and would take
> up any cause that would increase ratings numbers.”

Mystery: Who's Behind Brutal Web Video Slamming Huckabee Over Paroled
Rapist?

“Ramaphosa said Third Force elements in the security forces were formenting
> violence.”

ANC Daily News Briefing

EcDb only has foment/ferment pair, but not foment/forment. And, yes, this is
a reanalysis--a faux derivative of the verb "form" (as in, "form an
opinion").

VS-)