Etymythology of posh, P. O. S. H.

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Sep 12 15:20:45 UTC 2011

Has no-one taken up LH's challenge yet?  Well ...

In Google Books:

"Polished digs" appears 6 times.  Three times
from the Indianapolis Monthly, 2003, 2003, and
2008.  Once with no preview from Time Out New
York Eating and Drinking Guide, 2004.  Once
irrelevant (verbal "polished digs").  And once from ...

The same place the one hit for "poshed digs"
appears -- Studies in Slang, by Gerald Leonard Cohen.

In Google Everything, "polished digs" appears
about 690 times, many on the first page referring
to location, location, location and apparently meaing "posh".

Back to Google Books:

"Posh wood" appears occasionally, but meaning
"luxurious".  ("Polished wood" 75,400 times.)
"Poshed wood|mahogany|walnut" does not appear.  I
didn't try other materials.  "Poshed" alone seems
too voluminous to examine (e.g., misreadings of "pushed").

Joel