Really?

Andrea Morrow aandrea at UMICH.EDU
Mon Sep 12 16:23:15 UTC 2011

Snopes has an article on this that provides some starting points for looking
into the accuracy of the claims:
http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/cambridge.asp.  I'm sure others will
have more learned insights, but I've been seeing some version of this
message for years, and Snopes is always my first line of inquiry in matters
of internet BS...

Andrea

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Really?

> Could the IMO BS claim in this chain-email possibly be any parts of
> true? It strikes me as ridiculous. But,
>
> Youneverknow.
>
> --
> -Wilson
> -----
> -Mark Twain
>
> ----
>
> Eonvrye taht can raed tihs, rsaie tiehr hnad!
>
> Isn't  it interesing that only boys have their hands up?
>
> To my  "select" strange-minded friends:
> If you  can read the following paragraph, forward it on to your
> friends and the person that sent it to you with 'yes' in the subject
> line..
> Only great minds can  read this
> This is weird, but  interesting!
>
> Fi  yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid, too
>
> Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe  out of 100 can.
>
> I cdnuolt blveiee  taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was
> rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid,  aoccdrnig to a
> rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy,  it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr
> the ltteres in a  wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the
> frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The  rset can be a taotl
> mses and you can sitll raed it  whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the
> huamn mnid  deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod  as a
> wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
> Fi  yuo cna raed tihs, frowrad ti!

Andrea Morrow
Director of Writing Programs
Stephen M. Ross School of Business