Gross over - possible eggcorn

Thu Sep 15 05:59:35 UTC 2011

Nice. I had decided it would be too difficult to Google this one out.

On Sep 14, 2011, at 10:44 PM, victor steinbok wrote:

> Likely not a typo--I've seen a few of these before and even corrected
> students.
>
> A sampler (with limited search pattern--the general one gets too many
> irrelevant hits) [total 10 hits with all variants, two pairs repeated, 1
> spurious]:

> A couple of these are also puzzling, as they don't follow the same pattern:
>
> Why would some never understand the mysteries of the kingdom found in the
> parables? It was a matter of unprepared hearts. Their hearts were hard and
> grossed over, their ears were dull of hearing, their eyes they had closed.
> http://goo.gl/gGHFJ

Clearly along the lines of the pharaoh's heart being hardened in Exodus, but it's difficult to say what word is intended. "Glazed over" perhaps? "heart glazed over" has three unique Google hits.

> And, of course, I have *been grossed over* how popular media sees us, and
> have lived my own moments of being cast as something I am not: The Spicy
> Jalapeno.
> http://goo.gl/NGMi6

This is surely a typo for (or new form of) "grossed out over".

The first paragraph says:

-----
Part of the reason I started publishing the Tiki Tiki is because I took a look at the keyword searches done for “Latinas.” Scary and sickening. I wanted to present a more realistic picture of how broadly we live our lives, even if united by a common-ish culture and language.
-----

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA