calabooza (1847) & calybuce

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Sep 15 14:49:36 UTC 2011

For another form (and fairly early, for the 1989 OED) --

“Calabooza!  Calabooza Beretanee!” (the English
Jail), cried our conductor, pointing to the building.

1847.  Herman  Melville, Omoo – A Narrative of
Adventures in the South Seas.  1968, Evanston and
Chicago:  Northwestern University Press and the Newberry Library, p. 116.

(Jesse should have this in his files.)

Joel