Engineering amazing

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 17 12:46:03 UTC 2011

I just saw the ad. I hadn't read the thread.

My sole interpretation was that "amazing" is intended as noun.

As someone said, this nominalization of adjectives is extremely common in
advertising, and in my experience it's been, say, "not uncommon," in speech
for 30 or 435 years.

There's another ad right now that has three or four in a row. Will note it
when I see it again.

IIRC, Dillard identified adjectival nominalization as a notable feature of
AAVE. Cf. "God don't like ugly."

JL