old bad advice

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 17 18:45:26 UTC 2011

This publication alone may account for some difficulties in locating
appropriate expression that may now be of interest in pre-WWI newspapers.
Some selections may still persist, others are long forgotten. In many cases,
the battle had already been lost when the book was published. I took a small
sample from the last dozen pages. Note, in particular a reference (under
Slang) to "on the hog", which was a part of the phrase "living high on the
hog" recently under discussion.

On the other hand, there is a piece in NYT magazine this weekend that
includes the quote, "Anyone who thinks that 2 + 2 = 4 is an idiot."

VS-)

http://goo.gl/y6ffV
Hints & "Don'ts" for Writers and Copyreaders. By Robert William Ransom
[Assistant Managing Editor of the Chicago Record-Herald]. The Chicago Record
Herald: 1911