fun with phrases

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 18 17:17:40 UTC 2011

The concepts are similar, but "recreating yourself" in 1912 was not an idea
commonly mentioned in print as "redefining" and "reinventing" yourself
became many decades later - to the point, in fact, of becoming cliche's.

Here's another:

1st CNN anchor: How are you doin' today?
2nd CNN anchor [humorously]: Just livin' the dream here in Atlanta, Georgia.

To "live the dream": to be ecstatically happy with one's social, financial
or professional success or general existence.

This is pretty new too, but well known. The defining characteristic is the
lack of previous specification of what the "dream" might be. In the cliche',
everybody knows it's very broad indeed and closely connected with social and
financial contentment.

Searches are difficult, but it looks like the free-floating,
non-contextually specified phrase doesn't turn up till the late '60s and
doesn't become common for five or ten more years. (There is at least one
'50s ex., but the nature of the "dream" - a missionary's - was first
specified.)

What's it prove? Don't know. Who cares? Don't know that either. Does it
"provide a linguistic index to American culture," as popular books on
language used to say?  What's *that* mean?

JL