Maddened by Mad Men

Hunter, Lynne R CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC, 71700 lynne.hunter at NAVY.MIL
Tue Sep 20 22:36:35 UTC 2011

My original objection--based on personal memory--was that I didn't think people were already using the expression "hold _down_ the fort" in 1962. (Ben Zimmer and others have corrected me on that.) My complaint had nothing to do with its being a cliché. I do admit to favoring "hold the fort" because it strikes me as more colorful and evocative (and often more applicable) than its bland variant.

LRH

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 15:10
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Maddened by Mad Men

Poster:       Dave Wilton <dave at WILTON.NET>

What is the particular objection to its use in Mad Men, given that it is not
anachronistic?

One might consider the phrase to be silly or overused, but it's certainly a
common expression and it's appearance in dialogue in a fictional TV series
is natural and to be expected. Naturalistic dialogue is one of the hallmark
of shows like this. The stock in trade of Ad men is the cliché; so it should
be with Mad Men.