"everything": hamburger (1937), hot dog (1938), pizza (1954), bagel (1988)

Wed Sep 21 07:24:28 UTC 2011

Ben Zimmer wrote:
> Sorry, the dates got left off these. That would be the June 21, 1937
> Washington Post and the Oct. 19, 1938 Salt Lake Tribune.

In 1936 ordering a hot dog with everything on it constituted a breach
of decorum at the Waldorf.

Date: 1936 July 25
Newspaper: Bradford Era
Article: As the Parade Passes by Tom Gee
Page: 2
Column: 3
City: Bradford
State: Pennsylvania

A young man whom we know has cherished since childhood an impish
desire to walk with considerable dignity into one of the sedate dining
rooms of the Waldorf Astoria and after due deliberation, in response
to the inquiring stare of an aloof waiter, say quite loudly and with
conviction: "I'll have a hot dog with everything on it. And, oh yes,
wrap up two to go!"