early "gay" cite

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Sep 21 23:35:01 UTC 2011

Jon,

If this from 1932/1933/1937 can be confirmed as really referring to
homosexuality, will you consent to removing the square brackets
surrounding the OED's 1938 quotation from "Bringing Up Baby"?   :-)

And perhaps they could be removed from some of the other 1922 to 1941
OED quotations as well.  (I don't have HDAS on line or shelf.)

(I note that Ron Butters once wrote "1. The remark was an ad lib,
made up by Grant himself." and "3. Thus the audience in the late
1930s would certainly not have known GAY = 'homosexual' (except maybe
some gay people themselves, who at the time preferred QUEER or THAT
WAY as terms of self-reference."

(What the audience would not know is not evidence of Grant's intended
meaning, *particularly* if it was an ad lib.  And it does not have to
be a pun; it could be simply intended for those in the know.)

Joel