tree lawns; was Re: Off and on

Thu Sep 22 03:49:01 UTC 2011

The use of "tree lawn" is a stereotype in our house; my wife is originally from the West Park neighborhood of Cleveland and later, Parma, OH, and she uses the term all the time.  I got in touch with DARE about the term and they sent me a map of their responses, which were heavily concentrated around NE OH generally.  When surveying my students, I found that St. Joseph, MI, and seemingly only St. Joe, also uses the word.
My native area has no word for the concept that I know.  But I grew up from 6-14 in Hinsdale, IL (and mowed lawns), and so I grew up with "parkway"--which confused everyone once I moved to Jersey.

Paul Johnston