tree lawns; was Re: Off and on

Thu Sep 22 05:33:58 UTC 2011

A few people in Michigan (Kalamazoo, Lansing) say "berm" for this.  Otherwise, I haven't heard any other terms besides "tree lawn" and "parkway".  As I say, in New Jersey, there was no term, though my neighborhood had sidewalks, and so, there was a tree lawn/parkway/berm.  Mowing lawns in Morristown, NJ took some skill, because of the hill our house was built on, and everyone did their own, so I was out of work anyhow.  The tree lawn (or whatever) was the only flat bit on the whole property.

My wife says that the trees planted in this strip belonged to the city in Cleveland, though you had to take care of them.

Paul Johnston