early "gay" cite

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 22 16:32:37 UTC 2011

Plenty of absurd ideas go unrefuted, but Dan may be on to something.

GB shows an ad from the Feb., 1946,_Boy's Life_ for _Along the Navajo
Trail_, starring Roy Rogers, promising, "You'll go gay, you'll go wild,
you'll go for this grand carnival of musical entertainment!"

Further, from the _Saturday Review_ (snippet, allegedly 1931): "He wondered,
vaguely, whether he was a little drunk. ... he felt, suddenly, very excited
and gay, and a little mad. An absurd line of a song ran through his brain,
'I wanna go gay, I wanna go gay'...Only you couldn't go gay at a business
luncheon."  (I can't tell the sexual context of these lines.)

Coded messages? Believe what you will.  But if the song can be identified,
the lyrics might provide a likely explanation.

Back in the pre-cyber days, before GB would scan a million books for you in
no time, no one I discussed the question with  admitted with "go gay" as any
kind of idiom or ordinary collocation outside of its homosexual usage. As
HDAS shows, "to "get gay" used to be pretty common in the sense of "get
uppity," but that's different.

The cowboy song "The Streets of Laredo" includes the line, "'Twas once in
the saddle, I used to go dashing,/ 'Twas once in the saddle, I used to go
gay."  But it's just as often "be gay."  Also, as it parallels "go dashing,"
it does not support the sense of "go" as "become." Coded message?

Of course, this is all pretty moot for the history of the lexicon as long as
the 1933 ex. in HDAS holds up. If not, Grant's line loses its likelihood as
a sexual reference. I do not have access to the book cited in HDAS: _The
Young and Evil_, by Charles Ford and Parker Tyler (Paris, 1933). I consulted
it at the NYPL forty years ago.

HDAS also cites, in brackets and with a disclaimer, Gertrude Stein's even
less relevant use of "gay" in 1922, an ex. also hailed by enthusiasts as a
magnificently trail-blazing dog-whistle message.

JL