early "gay" cite (UNCLASSIFIED)

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Thu Sep 22 17:32:17 UTC 2011

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Laurence Horn [laurence.horn at YALE.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:12 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] early "gay" cite (UNCLASSIFIED)

On Sep 22, 2011, at 12:39 PM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:

> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>

>> Of course, this is all pretty moot for the history of the lexicon as long as
>> the 1933 ex. in HDAS holds up. If not, Grant's line loses its likelihood as
>> a sexual reference. I do not have access to the book cited in HDAS: _The
>> Young and Evil_, by Charles Ford and Parker Tyler (Paris, 1933). I consulted
>> it at the NYPL forty years ago.

I thought Yale might have it in their old book depository ("Long Term Shelving"), but the only holdings are:

The Young and the Damned
The Young and the Dead
The Young and the Digital
The Young and the Immortal
The Young and the Old

Nice cross-section, but I see no evil.

LH
\

If you drop the second "the" it's listed:
BEINECKE (Non-Circulating)
Call Number:
Za F75 933yb

SG