tree lawns; was Re: Off and on

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Sep 23 01:15:46 UTC 2011

On Sep 22, 2011, at 4:56 PM, Dan Goodman wrote:

> In the Twin Cities area, the term is "boulevard."  My amateur guess:
> originally "boulevard strip."
>
> To the best of my knowledge, New York City has no term.
>
> Berm:  For parts of my childhood, I lived on the Berme Road in Ulster
> County, NY.  It ran near the route of the Delaware and Hudson Canal.
>
> --
I notice that a lot of yellow "none of the above" dots are centered over Madison, WI.  When I had undergraduates do a dialect questionnaire that included this question at UW-Madison in the late 1970s, "boulevard" came up a lot.  It stunned me at the time, since I thought I knew what a boulevard was.

LH