"spend a penny" -- the TLS is at it again.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 23 17:42:21 UTC 2011

GB has a snippet of
_The Synge Letters: Bishop Edward Synge to his daughter Alicia, Roscommon to
Dublin, 1746-1752_, ed. by Marie-Louise Legg (Dublin: Lilliput, 1996).
All that is relevant and visible is a tantalizing acknowledgment  "to Julia
Field, who talked to me about the early sue of the phrase 'spend a penny'"
(p. xxxvi).
Those sufficiently interested should fly to their institutional libraries to
seek further.
I can't find the phrase in Smollett via GB either or, more telling indeed,
ECCO.
The ball is thus in the court of Jennings and Fields.
JL