more shit

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Sep 23 18:32:42 UTC 2011

I guess I've always processed the two as similar, but that's because I never thought about it.  I'm sure you're right, especially as to origin, whether or not the original reference was to dogs. Let's see what OED has…
'designating a broad grin expressing uncontrollable delight or self-satisfaction, esp. characterized by awareness of having got away with something normally considered outrageous or improper; (also) designating a consciously disarming, self-deprecating, slightly cheeky grin, often used to deflect censure or disapproval'

I agree that a shit-faced grin should be quite different. But both happy shit in their own way.  (And that's an interesting semantic shift above, from the awareness of getting away with something improper to disarming, and self-deprecating.  I wonder if the latter meaning bespeaks a relation between shit-eating grins and sheepish ones.

LH