fun with phrases

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 24 14:32:48 UTC 2011

"(But) the rules have changed!"

Now a common journalistic cliche'. It doesn't generally refer to actual
"rules" but to expectations of social behavior.

Nothing remotely similar in GB until 1921: "Gentlemen, let me tell you
before tribunals of Justice *the rules have changed*. Noise and hot air
won't go."

And not much until the '70s. Many, many in the last 20 years.

JL