adj. 1822 -- Antedating "African-American"

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 25 04:07:36 UTC 2011

Hyphenation is what makes this interesting. Otherwise, it would have been no
contest--I read this as American colony in Africa or a colony of Americans
in Africa, not "Africans" in America. Basically, it's [African [American
colony]] vs. [[African American] colony]. But throw in the hyphen and it
makes the decision more difficult. It's almost like the difference between
African-American and Amero-African, if we use the current meaning of African
American. The problem is, it falls in the middle of the period where almost
everything acquired a hyphen in print, without regard for actual structure.
1822 is at the tail end of that period, so it's a bit of a toss-up

VS-)