Further Antedating of "African-American"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 25 17:58:34 UTC 2011

This case resembles Cary Grant's use of "gay" in that current usage makes it
difficult to determine what was actually intended.

I find the implicit contrast between "African-Americans" and "free negroes"
quite puzzling.

If the "free negroes" are American "freed" Negroes, why mention
"African-Americans" at all? Wouldn't they all be "African-Americans" in that
case? Why should "African-American"   exclude freed slaves?

Maybe they're Africans who are "free" because they were already living there
and had never been enslaved. This seems likely to me.

That would indeed seem to make "African-Americans" equivalent to "Americans
of African descent."

But it isn't that simple. Could it be that "African-Americans" really means
"Africanized Americans," i.e., white missionaries who also settled there?
This sounds unlikely by modern standards, but I'm not sure what the
interpretation might have been nearly 200 years ago. Since
"African(-)American" was evidently not a familiar phrase by 1832, it seems
very possible to me that it refers to American whites living in Africa.
Their number may have been negligible, but an 1832 publication may have
given them prominence simply because they *were* white and *had* moved to
Africa. This might be particularly so since Liberia is understood to be an
"American colony."

In that case, the "free negroes" would consist of both free (African)
Negroes, and "freed" American Negroes. In other words, no Negroes in the
colony are enslaved, as a British reader might otherwise have suspected of
an American colony founded in Africa.

And the number of whites may have not been entirely negligiblel. Acc. to
_American Colonization Society and the Colony at Liberia_ (1831; GB), in
1830, "Four ships, with 315 emigrants, one hundred and ninety-eight of whom
were emancipated slaves, arrived at the colony." Presumably most of the 117
others were free black Americans, but the white population of Liberia in
1831-32 needs be looked into.

I can't say whether early usage would have favored the designation
 "American African colony." GB finds just one 19th C. ex. (but no ex. of
"African American colony").  The results for "... settlement" are
comparable. However, "American colony in Africa"  turns up over 70 raw hits.
Stylistically that was clearly the favored idiom.

As I read the 1822 passage, however, I feel that it is more likely to mean
"American colony in Africa."

Why? Primarily because the evidence shows that "African(-)American" was not
a familiar designation for American blacks in 1822. Unlike us, readers would
not have expected that meaning: at first glance, they might not know what it
meant. "African American Colony" has the advantage over "American African
Colony" in that it immediately tells the reader that Africa is a more
important element than America. Furthermore, thinking of it as an "African,
American colony" emphasizes that the Americans are colonizing Africa,
something possibly more newsworthy than the idea that black Americans are
settling in Africa.  But there is no way for me to be certain.

It does seem significant, however, that *both* of these extraordinarily
early exx. of "African American" can be read ambiguously. That's not a good
sign. Nor is the fact that they come ten years apart with nothing at all in
between.

Thus I'm inclined to be skeptical of both exx. They require brackets.

JL