shingle-eating grin, crap-eatin' grin, canary-eatin' grin, sugar-eating grin, crud-eating grin

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 26 11:51:27 UTC 2011

"Shit-eating grin" is another term that WWII novelists place in the early
'40s.

I'd suggest that the unique "shingle-eating grin" makes absolutely no sense
except as a transparent euphemism.

I have also encountered what I take to be the original concept, to "grin
like a shit-eating dog."

JL