slush-on-a-shingle, slop on a shingle, mud on a shingle, stuff-on-a-shingle

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 26 12:32:21 UTC 2011

Both "SOS" and "shit-on-shingle" were widely familiar in all the services in
WWII.

1993-1998 Robert A. Maher & James E. Wise _Sailor's Journey into War_
 (Kent, O,: Kent State U.P., 1998) 75 [ref. to 1943-45]: Another food that
was enjoyed by both the army and the navy was creamed chipped beef on toast.
There has been, and still is, a constant battle about what it was [properly]
called. My army friends say SOS or shit on a shingle. My Navy friends and I
say FSOT, which I won't translate. We did have SOS, but it was ground beef
with brown gravy. Anyway, I liked both of them them then, and I still eat
both today.

HDAS III or IV, whatever, will someday show "SOS" in WWI as "same old stew"
or "stuff," which I suspect was a euphemism.

Just when creamed chipped beef on toast became a standard institutional
dish, I do not know. Ground beef on toast also received the appellation.

HDAS I indirectly explains the mysterious "FSOT" (which is not listed) as
"foreskins on toast." (Ah, the folk imagination!)  HDAS discovered only two
independent published exx., both from the '30s, one from San Quentin. A GB
source attests that the term was in use in the Navy at least into the 1960s.

JL