“If I had a nickel for every time I heard it, I’d probably be a millionaire.”

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 26 15:30:36 UTC 2011

That quote was made by NY football Giants receiver Victor Cruz in
today's NYTimes.

A quick look at GB and the oldest quote I found is from Helmut Flieg,
under the pseudonym Stefan Heym -- "Goldsborough, a novel" dated 1954:
"If I had a nickel for every tear I've seen in this business, I'd be a
millionaire."

I did find an older quote going down to a penny, but missing the millionaire:

The American magazine: Volume 114
1932 - Snippet view
"Land sakes, I wish I had a penny for every wishful look I've seen
little fellows cast at the doll counter when I worked"

Turning to shilling, I found this, including the millionaire, but not
as intended:
The strand magazine: Volume 71
1926 - Snippet view
"I wish I had a shilling for every time I've failed to become a
millionaire through lack of the necessary capital."

Dollar seems to be the big winner, although you get to your goal 20
times as fast;
Every other Sunday, Volume 15 , p.167
No. 21 -- June 17, 1900
By Unitarian Sunday-School Society
"If I had a dollar for every mosquito I have killed, I should be a
millionaire by this time."

DanG