penciled out + fired

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 26 19:18:22 UTC 2011

A look through Google News routinely finds "laid off" where "laid off"
would be expected, and "fired" where "fired" would be expected.

The only example that may be unclear to some is this one:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/09/perrys-former-chief-of-staff-brandishes-knife-.html

The guy was let go from an executive position. (The brandishing of the
knife occurred after he was let go.)
In my book, an individual top executive who is let go is "fired", not
"laid off", even if it is not directly 'for cause'. In general,
"lay-offs" are institutional; firing are specific to the individual.

DanG