fun with phrases

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 27 15:17:59 UTC 2011

A clear 1977, then really nothing till the mid-eighties. Then plenty.

"It isn't who I am" shows up in '73, though not quite in the current sense.
(It seems to mean, "That's not the sort of person I am," which is pretty
close to current usage, though I think currently it tends also to mean, "It
isn't the style or thing I prefer."

There's also a '42 snippet, which, if correctly dated, easily admits a
different interpretation, namely,  "It isn't who *I* am that counts; it's
who *you* are."

"That's who I am" presents too daunting a search.

"That's not who I am" also shows a good one in 1973.

JL