the birds and the bees

Wed Sep 28 16:04:27 UTC 2011

This message got sent by accident, incomplete.

JL has replied off-list with a citation from a newspaper of 1939.

I had made an insincere effort to search the Proquest historical newspapers
-- it's not my idea of fun --but saw nothing likely within 50 years of the
introduction of the concept of pollination (through the 1920s).  JL's
citation and another I had found but not noted, but from roughly the same
era, suggest that the trope was well-known by then.
My notion of this trope is that the little one is invited to remember seeing
mommy hen sitting on her eggs (or mommy robin, or mommy pigeon, if
hen-houses are not part of the kid's experience), well, those eggs
developed. . . .  And what got those eggs started? well, just as the little
bee flies to a flower and gathers up pollen. . . .
So the bees wouldn't have entered the story before the late 19th C.
 Colonial parents might have wised up their kids by referring to birds,
though.

The TLS article has a nice story about Noel Coward, who was with a child
when they saw a pair of dogs copulating.  "What are they doing, Uncle Noel?"
(or words to that effect).  Coward explained that the dog in front was blind
and the other was pushing it to St. Dunstan's.

GAT