fun with phrases

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 28 20:32:32 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The point is that the phrase itself first appears in GB in 1948 in a more or
> less literal sense, which is then linked with cats in 1962. Â The cat
> business is meant literally: as a superstition, it may lie behind the 1948
> ex., which appears to have superstitious or ghostly overtones.

I understand that. I guess that I kinda got carried away, I knew from
the BE-ginning that I was adding nothing substantive to the
discussion.

> In 1985 the phrase is used fig. to describe a person who impresses everyone.
> Leaves them breathless, perhaps?

As a compliment? Perhaps I have it confused with the line about NP's
entrance sucking all the "light* out of a room.

> It achieved cliche' status only after 1996. This morning I heard it used of
> Gov. Christie - as a compliment.

So, it was originally a put-dowh, after all.

--
-Wilson
-----