rents - parents

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 29 09:40:30 UTC 2011

We are roughly in the same age group and went to college at the same
time. Of course, I did not grow up in NJ--nor in US, in fact--so I could
not have heard it in the 1970s. I did, however, hear it in college,
which is why I said it was from the 80s. This does not preclude the
expression being older, as everything seems to converge on that one 1968
reference.

I have another, from 1975. And it's primary--in the sense of not being a
dictionary.

http://goo.gl/v08J8
Hey, naked lady ; a new comedy in two acts. By Fred Carmichael. 1975
[Copyright is given under the publisher, Samuel French. But the
character listing page gives the date of first performance as August 22,
1974, at the Dorset Playhouse, Dorset, VT]
> JODY: I wonder if I was a planned baby? Hey, that's freaky. Was I
> planned or a surprise?
> ROBERT: Why don't you /ask your rents/? (Drinks from his glass on
> coffee table.)

It's the only GB hit I got for various "ask X rents". Other combinations
give thousands of hits in the relevant period (1960-80)--not something I
plan to do any time soon.

     VS-)