ety. of "shanty"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 29 12:00:58 UTC 2011

In the sense of a wooden hut or the like.

OED and most everybody else sugg. syn. Fr. "chantier."  Sure, why not? Lots
of Fr. Canadian lumberjacks lived in shanties.

Somebody at another forum sugg. Irish/Gaelic  "seann taigh/ sean tigh"
literally "old house."

The Irish, of course, are stereotypically associated with shanties - though
only in America, I think. Anyway, my BS Detector warns me that the grammar
of "seann taigh" may be impossible.

Definitive judgment, please.

JL