fun with phrases

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 30 19:43:22 UTC 2011

I.

This one is surprising:

"But this/that was only/just the beginning."

I'm interested in the phrase as a dramatic, unelaborated transitional
statement. History Channel narrators use it frequently, as do the
journalists at Fox and CNN.

GB turns up several exx. during the (mostly later) 19th C., but many are
just duplications of a single use by Kipling.

Once again, there's an explosion,  perhaps pioneered in advertising, after
ca1920.

If it was as common in conversation in, say, 1825, as one would suspect, why
were writers in Britain and America so reluctant to use it?  Because it was
felt to be, God forbid, a sentence fragment?  But its 19th C. rarity is
still a little curious.

II.

"On the comeback trail."

OED has this kind of "comeback" from 1908, but no "comeback trail."

1921 Dean Snyder in _Ogden Standard-Examiner_ (Last Edition) (Feb. 5) 6
[Newspaper Archive]: "It will be different this time." This is the
philosophy which [Jess] Willard has worked out after a year and a half in
meditation. He has sought the comeback trail among the Kansas sunflowers.

1921 Jack Lawrence in _New York Tribune_ (Nov. 8) 15 [Chronicling America]:
Pete Herman, who twice has held and lost the bantamweight championship of
the world, is taking the old Come-Back Trail which so often leads to
failure. ...[T]he Come-Back Trail is smeared with the shadows of defeat and
strewn with the forms of ancient boxers who couldn't make the grade.

1925 _Oakland Tribune_ (Apr. 27) [unp.] [NewspaperArchive]: There is no
steeper trail, perhaps, than the come-back trail -- that climb that must be
made by erring ones who would re-establish themselves in the eyes of the
world.

(There's even a cartoon illustration of the presumably unfamiliar phrase:  a
chap with a receding hairline tries to scale a sheer cliff in wingtips).

The two databases find only two or three other exx. before 1926.  After
that, it's on sports pages everywhere.

One wonders whether the "comeback trail" was a term first used by hikers and
such for the "return trail."

JL