Fwd: "Dairy Queen", the (basketball) verb

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Apr 1 00:03:23 UTC 2012

So in tonight's national semifinal between Louisville and Kentucky, I haven't heard Kellogg mention the danger of anyone being Dairy Queened, but he did talk about one of the Kentucky players being "undersung" (which I thought was more innovative than it turns out, on closer examination, to be) and then mentioned Kentucky's "spurtability".  Neither is in the OED, but the former has 177K raw g-hits.  As for the latter, it does have 4.2K, but perhaps significantly the first one that comes up is--for Clark Kellogg's wikipedia entry: 'He is known for using the phrase "spurtability" as a reference to a team's ability to score points in quick succession.'

LH

Begin forwarded message: