hobo synonymous with panhandler or beggar

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Sun Apr 1 03:11:49 UTC 2012

The comment that no self-respecting hobo would take money for nothing reminded me of a line from Phil Harris's 1950 novelty hit "The Thing":

I wandered all around the town until I chanced to meet /
A hobo who was lookin' for a handout on the street.
He said he'd take most any old thing, he was a desperate man. /
But when I showed him the [thing] he turned around and ran!

Neal