hobo synonymous with panhandler or beggar

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 1 17:03:41 UTC 2012

As I leraned it, the hobo was the migratory worker, the tramp the migratory
nonworker.

BTW, "migrant worker" has long been preferred.  Birds are migratory, so
"migratory" must show disrespect.  (Birds can also be "migrants," but
perhaps the public is less conscious of that.)
OED has "migratory laborer" from 1911, "migrant worker" amusingly only from
1999.

JL