hobo synonymous with panhandler or beggar

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 2 15:28:47 UTC 2012

It's interesting that the word "hobo" ever appeared. In the late 1880s,
"tramp" and "vagabond" were in formal as well as colloquial use, and "bum"
was becoming increasingly common.  A "tramp printer," along with similar
tradesmen, would have been an "itinerant."

It's especially interesting since the ety. of "hobo" remains unknown.

BTW, the fact that a "tramp printer" travels and works doesn't entail that
a "tramp" does either one.

I'm not sure how "tramp steamer" fits into this.

There is also "tramp" in the opprobrious female sense.  James T. Farrell,
of Chicago, and others, also used "bum" in this way.

JL