Simile: like *substance* through a tin horn

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 4 19:36:59 UTC 2012

I've never had any inkling that "tin horn" was a term for a funnel.  Why
would it be?

The theory I formulated decades ago on the basis of either nothing or a
single cite is that the original expression was "like spit through a tin
horn." At least it makes sense.

HDAS "shit" entries, enough to fill a book of their own, are somewhat
disorganized and so hard to access in their teeny digitized-image form that
I'm not even going to look.

JL