hopefully

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 6 14:34:12 UTC 2012

I agree with the students.

The "rules" allow for more rapid and efficient comprehension, and they also
force writers to think more clearly and carefully.  Some of the so-called
"rules," like "hopefully," are either groundless, inconsequential, or
patently obsolete. (When I was in high school, it was "will" and "shall"
and the use of "contact" as a verb; I'm sure I could think of more.) The
teacher can ignore such rules ad lib:  part of the job is using your
judgment.

The idea that teaching composition and teaching descriptive linguistics are
almost the same thing was a fad forty years ago.  It made little sense then
either.

The confusion began when pedagogues learned belatedly that some spoken
social dialects (notably AAVE) have some variant  rules and that inner-city
kids were used to following them. The previous, race-and-ignorance-based
supposition was that they were just stupid.

Teachers need to know the basics of linguistics so they can offer clear and
effective explanations when necessary.  But I can recall a time when it was
argued (at least by grad students on my campus) that freshman comp was just
another attempt to make potentially brilliant young people, who supposedly
had an inborn ability to write like angels, conform to the arbitrary and
oppressive rules of the DWEM.

 JL