Lobbying and "log-rolling" in 1850 Indiana USA

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Apr 7 13:51:27 UTC 2012

 From the OED:

log-rolling: 2. colloq. (orig. U.S.). a.
Combination for mutual assistance in political or other action.
   [That is, quid pro quo; you do something for
me, I'll do something for you.  Log-rolling requires cooperation.]
 From 1823 --   Niles' Weekly Reg. 7 June
210/1   That sort of ‘management’, now rather
more fashionable, and known by the dignified
appellation of ‘log-rolling’­that is, a buying and selling of votes.

I don't find "lobying".  But --

lobby (v.): 1. trans. To influence (members of a
house of legislature) in the exercise of their
legislative functions by frequenting the lobby.
Also, to procure the passing of (a measure)
through Congress by means of such influence.   From 1850-
   2. intr. To frequent the lobby of a
legislative assembly for the purpose of
influencing members' votes; to solicit the votes of members.  From 1837-
   [That is, to (attempt to) use influence, "pull".  Lobbying is one-sided.]

Joel