"party screws", 1854?

Sun Apr 8 15:04:03 UTC 2012

Early examples, illustrating several different variant meanings:

1824:     *Lottery*. -- The offices were crowded on Wednesday evening with
persons to receive payment of large and small prizes, which were promptly
paid.  SEIXAS sold two 5,000 dollar prizes at his road to wealth -- not an
unapt name.  How many jocund faces have been made, and heavy hearts
lightened by the small shares of Fortune's favour.  Several *screws* were
lightened.

     New-York National Advocate, December 17, 1824, p. 2, col. 2

1824:     *The King of New-Zealand* has taken his passage to Liverpool
to *raise
a loan!*  We take it unkind, that every application for a loan is made in
England.  Why not apply to Wall-street? there are some of us here who
understand *the screws*.

     New-York National Advocate, December 28, 1824, p. 2, col. 3

1825:     Streets. -- The inspector of the first ward [intends] putting the
corporation *screws* on all occupants of stores who are in the habit of
encumbering the side pavements in an unlawful or improper manner.

     New-York National Advocate, March 15, 1825, p. 2, col. 3

1826:     The Screws, No. 1.  [headline]  ***  It will be asked what object
have the owners of the old Advocate, in thus seeking every occasion to put
the screws upon me?

     New-York National Advocate, June 21, 1826, p. 2, cols. 3-4  [Written
by Mordecai Noah, editor of a newspaper called the National Advocate for
about 10 years, to 1824, when he lost some sort of a power struggle.  He
then started a paper which he called the New-York National Advocate, and
was promptly sued by his former associates.  A few weeks after writing
this, he put the New-York National Advocate out of business and opened a
new (supposedly) paper called the N-Y Enquirer.]

1826:     Mr. Wheeler.  No wonder he made such a statement in his first
fright.  Would not a man say any thing when *under the screws*?

New-York American, February 15, 1826, p. 2, col. 6 [A lawyer,
cross-examining a cop who was alleging that Wheeler's client had made a
damaging admission, when arrested.]

1829:     . . . such a class of tailors as *screw down* female operatives
to sixpence a day.

Commercial Advertiser, February 21, 1829, p. 2, col. 3 quoting Morning
Courier

GAT

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I would suspect a nonce headline with the meaning of
> "screw"--specifically attached to college exams--being quite common and
> fitting easily under screw n.1 2.a. I find it interesting that screw n.1
> 2.a. and b. are detached from 1.e., which is "an instrument of torture
> formerly in use, designed to compress the thumbs of a prisoner in order
> to extort a confession". At the very least, there should be a
> cross-reference between the two--it is a "historical" dictionary after
> all. I do understand the desire to separate the two--the torture device
> was a variant on the mechanical screw that fits the rest of 1.a-d., but
> 2.a-b. is purely metaphorical.
>
> Also, 2.b. seems to lack a particular form that is glossed over with a
> cop-out phrase: "Phrases. to put on, apply, turn the screw or screws and
> similar phrases:  (a) to apply moral pressure; also, used of other kinds
> of pressure, e.g. the pressure of competition;  (b) to force the payment
> of a debt or loan; also rarely, to limit the giving of credit. Also,
> occas., used of blackmail." "Put on screws" IMO has become exceedingly
> rare, compared to "put screws to", "put the screw(s) to" variant. In
> fact, there is not one example under 2.b. that has screws applied "to"
> someone. The only option with targeting PP is with "on", while most
> examples have no targeting PP at all.
>
> The earliest listed example is among "put the screws on [them]" variety,
> plus several others.
>
>  1834 C. A. Davis /Lett. J. Downing/ xiv. 96   And if they don't they
>> put the screws on 'em.
>> 1860   All Year Round 26 May 160   When there is work and plenty of
>> it, the operatives turn the screw upon the masters.
>> 1883 Sir H. Cotton in /Law Times Rep./ 49 150/2   It cannot be said
>> that he did it ... for the purpose of putting the screw on the
>> company, and forcing them to abandon a defence /bona fide/ claimed by
>> them.
>> 1894 P. L. Ford /Hon. Peter Stirling/ xli. 241   Then I can put the
>> screws on him safely, you think?
>>

> Compare that to
>
> http://goo.gl/Ad6kK
> The New Excelsior Dictionary, Containing Every Useful Word in the
> English Language. Nashua, NH: 1889
>
>> *Screw.* /"Screw loose," /something wrong. To /"put screws to," /to
>> compel by strong influences. To /"put on the screws," /to limit or
>> restrain, equivalent to " put down the brakes."
>>

> The same definition is preserved in another of C. C. Parker's
> dictionaries in 1897 http://goo.gl/w0vxn
>
> Note the difference implied between "put screws to" and "pun on the
> screws". Perhaps for another time, note the euphemistic interpretation
> of "screw loose".
>
> http://goo.gl/32gxC
> The Presbyterian quarterly, Volume 7(23). Richmond, VA: January 1893
> Review of The Evolution Op Christiantty. By /Lyman Abbott. /Boston and
> New York: Houghton, Mifflin /& /Co. The Riverside Press, Cambridge,
> [...]

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.