You're an ethnic slur!

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 10 21:57:22 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Ben Zimmer
<bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Surely influenced by "to call (someone) a name" or "to call (someone) names."

We colored phrase it as,

"call someone out of his name"

IME, this *almost always* means

"call someone a nigger"

I.e., it's usually - but not necessarily; a child involved in a
schoolyard fight might claim that it began when "he called me out of
my name!": called him a "punk" or a "sissy" or some such - used in
describing an unpleasant encounter with the Other Group.

--
-Wilson
-----