"home" = "sharpen"

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 11 01:52:45 UTC 2012

While I've often heard "hone in on" from my students and on TV, I've
never noticed any anxiety on the part of its users.  On the contrary,
they are surprised when it's pointed out that this is a relatively
recent modification of "home in on," and some users have insisted the
"hone in on" is the more correct of the two.

Herb