mistress

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 12 14:02:45 UTC 2012

And for our grandmothers (and sometimes their [grown] children), mistresses typically were "kept".  Or they could be "kept women".  And where the…gentleman? (sugar daddy? naah) kept his mistress was their "love nest", a term dear to the hearts of tabloid headline writers.  Ah, those were the days!

LH