"taint", anatomical

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 13 15:49:50 UTC 2012

As JL pointed out earlier, there is no evidence of "nifkin" being used
in this manner outside of the single throw-away Wiki line and two dozen
UD entries. There are plenty of ghits for "nifkin", but only the UD ones
have anything to do with the subject. The rest are almost entirely
nicknames or other random spurious scraps. A relatively large cluster is
related to two children's books (OK, "young adult") that have "Nifkin"
in the title (both as a name) from 1982 and 1998. GB finds another
cluster of books where Nifkin is used as a dog name.

On the other hand, "bifkin" gets nearly as many hits--most similar
"nifkin", but also including UD, FarLex, FreeDictionary.com,
dictionaryslang.com and several others. "Bifkin" almost sounds like it
could be an Yiddishism or some odd Scottish word. Of course, that's all
subjective and someone else could just as well say that "nifkin" sounds
like an Yiddishism. FWIW "bifkin" cites appear to be somewhat older, but
I found no book characters named "Bifkin". Most GB hits for "bifkin" and
some for "nifkin" appear to be OCR errors for "Rifkin". /That/ is a
common surname. I am not convinced that "Nifkin" is particularly common.
Finally, one of the UD entries for "nifkin" suggests that this was based
on a mishearing/misspelling of "bifkin", which certainly sounds
plausible to me--not that I've ever heard either one.

"Gooch" is a common nickname. "Grundle" sounds like it could be a common
surname, although I've never encountered one.

     VS-)

On 4/13/2012 11:16 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote