porridge

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 15 04:23:56 UTC 2012

I have not checked any dictionaries of Wiki for any of the terms, as
it's pretty obvious that most will be found almost everywhere. But, on
the off-chance that some are not covered, I thought I'd include the
entire list.

SF Chronicle has a feature that covers different cultural treatments of
common foods (often with the specific SF angle, but occasionally more
generally). This one is for porridge. If you want to research the
recipes, just follow the link. My interest here is in the terminology. I
added the text version of underlining to make the headings clear.

http://goo.gl/3PAeE
> An international guide to porridge
> Made with a variety of grains, porridges are eaten worldwide. Here is
> just a sampling:
>
> _Rice_
> China: jook, congee
> Philippines: arroz caldo, lugaw, champurado
> Korean: chonbokchuk
> India, Middle East: shilon
> Japan: okayu
> Malaysia: nasi lemak
> Thailand: kao dom
> Vietnam: chao bo
>
> _Corn_
> Canada (Iroquoi): eschionque
> East Africa: ugali
> Mexico: atole, champurrado
> Romania: mamaliga
> India: funchi or fungee
> Italy: polentina
> South Africa: mealie
> United States: grits, cornmeal mush, also hasty pudding, Indian pudding
>
> _Wheat, Oats, Buckwheat, Barley & Other Grains_
> Africa: fufu
> Eastern Europe: kasha
> Estonia: pudru
> Finland: puuroa