Quote: he only lamented, that he had but one life to lose for his country (Nathan Hale 1799)

Thu Apr 19 21:59:21 UTC 2012

The revolutionary rebel Nathan Hale was hanged by the British as a spy
in 1776. What Hale said or did not say shortly before his execution is
a complex question of history. The words attributed to him became
famous in the United States.

The Yale Book of Quotations and the Quote Verifier have valuable
entries on the quotation credited to Hale.

The earliest evidence I can find for a version of this saying is in a
1799 history book by Hannah Adams. This book was, in part, compiled
using other history books. So an older source is possible in the gap
of twenty-three years between 1776 and 1799. Maybe some list member
has better access to databases with manuscripts from the 1700s.

The words attributed to Hale are between quotation marks, but the use
of a third person grammatical construct is odd to this modern reader.
Maybe some list member knows more about this style of written (or
spoken) speech in the United States in 1799.

Cite: 1799, A Summary History of New-England: From the First
Settlement at Plymouth to the Acceptance of the Federal Constitution:
Comprehending a General Sketch of the American War by Hannah Adams,
Quote Page 359, Printed for the Author by H. Mann and J. H. Adams,
Dedham. (HathiTrust)
[Begin excerpt]
"Unknown to all around him, without a single friend to offer him the
least consolation, thus fell as amiable and as worthy a young man as
America could boast, with this, as his dying observation, "that he
only lamented, that he had but one life to lose for his country."
[End excerpt]

Excerpts from this 1799 history book containing the words attributed
to Hale were reprinted multiple times in periodicals over the next few
decades.

The saying evolved and by 1829 a version of the statement with the
word "regretting" instead of "lamented" or "lamenting" was being
distributed. Quotation marks were not use in this instance.

Cite: 1829, Lectures on American Literature: with Remarks on Some
Passages of American history by Samuel L. Knapp Quote Page 255,
Published by Elam Bliss, New York. (Google Books full view)
http://books.google.com/books?id=LUThXC3UPicC&q=regretting#v=snippet&
[Begin excerpt]
The firmness and composure of Hale did not for an instant desert him,
and he died regretting that he had but one life to lose in the sacred
cause of his country - the cause of freedom and the rights of man. The
veteran soldiers wept like children at his untimely fate, wondering
that a rebel could die so much like a hero.
[End excerpt]

Here is another example using the word "regret" and not "lament" or "lamenting".

Cite: 1832 March, The Green Mountain Repository, Volume 1, Number 3,
Nathan Hale [Acknowledgement Bouquet], Page 64, Burlington, Vermont.
(ProQuest American Periodicals)
[Begin excerpt]
The heart of the martyr was not for a moment daunted - the only regret
he was heard to express, was, that he had but one life to lose in the
sacred cause of freedom. Such spirits ought not to sleep, unremembered
- they are choice gems in the wealth of any country.
[End excerpt]

Finally, by 1841 the words attributed to Hale were placed between
quotation marks, and a first person grammatical construct was employed
with the verb "lament".

Cite: 1841 March 29, Daily Chronicle & Sentinel [Augusta Chronicle],
The Young Volunteer by Charles P. Illsley, Quote Page 2, Column 6,
Augusta, Georgia. (GenealogyBank)
[Begin excerpt]
Nathan Hale, died with the scoffs and exultations of his enemies
ringing in his ears! In every eye deadly hatred gleamed, and on every
countenance brutal ferocity was depicted. Thus died the youthful
martyr to liberty, with these words on his lips - 'I lament I have but
one life to lose for my country.'
[End excerpt]

By 1842 a first person grammatical construct was employed with the
verb "regret". The phrasing and sentiments expressed in this citation
were more elaborate than the most common modern variant of the quote.

Cite: 1942 July 12, Hudson River Chronicle, The Celebration: Volunteer
Sentiments from Col. Carmichael, Quote Page 3, Column 3, Sing-Sing,
Westchester County, New York. (GenealogyBank)
[Begin excerpt]
By Col. Carmichael. The Memory of Capt. Nathan Hale - The patriotic
spy, who under the service of Washington, fell an early martyr to the
cause of freedom on Long Island: When asked by the British bloodhound
Howe (who denied him the solace of a Bible in his last moments,) what
he had to say before his execution, the noble youth replied, "I only
regret that I have but one life to lose in the cause of my country,
the cause of liberty and the rights of man."
[End excerpt]

There are a large number of instances of this quote in various
databases. Many cites repeat earlier cites exactly or with small
modifications.

If a list member finds evidence of this saying before 1799 or evidence
of earlier examples that use a first person form I would love to hear
about it. Other interesting citations for this quote would be
welcomed.

Thanks Garson