FW: Even more antedating of The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Sat Apr 21 23:49:50 UTC 2012

Barry Popik sent the message below to several ads-l members, and I now forward the main part of it to the entire listserv.

Gerald Cohen

________________________________

From: Barry Popik [mailto:bapopik at aol.com]
Sent: Sat 4/21/2012 5:38 PM
Subject: Even more antedating of The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs

OK, so I was looking some more at the free Google Books preview for THE
DICTIONARY OF MODERN PROVERBS. There's an entry for "If you aren't the
lead dog, the scenery (view) never changes." The book's earliest cite
is 1980.
It's on my website, where I credit Robert Benchley's well known line in
the Bob Hope-Bing Crosby movie THE ROAD TO UTOPIA (1946). I also have
some Lewis Grizzard cites for it. Really nice work that people should
know about. Now Google "lead dog" and "never changes" and see if my
website is anywhere. Now try Bing, where I believe that my nowhere
website is on the first page.
Barry Popik
Austin, TX
www.barrypopik.com
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/if_youre_not_the_lead_dog_the_view_never_changes/
GOOGLE BOOKS
The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs
books.google.comMR Charles Clay Doyle - 2012 - Preview
If you aren't the lead dog, the scenery (view) never changes. 1980 Paul
Dickson, The Official Explanations (New York: Delacorte) 202: "Sgt.
Preston's Law of the Wild: The scenery only changes for the lead dog."
1985 Washington Post 13