Cigarette nuts was Re: 1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole."

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu Apr 26 12:36:40 UTC 2012

On 4/26/12 12:00 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:
> not in the ecdb or in the forum.
>
> i find only three google cites, and they're all from Liberia:
>
> A man once found forty-nine cigarette nuts. For every seven of the forty-nine cigarette nuts that he joins together, he gets one cigarette and he is able to smoke it. How many cigarettes was the man able to smoke?
> http://www.angelfire.com/hi4/Liberianboy/cy.html
>
> The house was unfurnished, dirty, and smelly with a thousand cigarette nuts that indicated, Andrew would be dead in no time.
> http://www.inprofiledaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1515:the-lies-he-told-final&catid=43:marthas-corner&Itemid=73
>
> He said security officers at the base also made him drink his urine and to chew cigarette nuts.
> http://allafrica.com/stories/199910070268.html
>
> ….
>
> Amy, just where do you live?
*That* is interesting: I live in Worcester, MA and we have a large
African immigrant community, including folks from Liberia. And there
have been in the past African immigrants living literally just across
the street from the house that has the sign, but they aren't there
currently. However, I haven't seen any African-immigrant residents of
the triple-decker with the sign. But it could be that the building owner
is an African immigrant.

Thanks for doing my homework for me, Arnold.

So, do you think this is less likely an eggcorn and more a Liberian
English dialectal variant?

---Amy West